Do you want to learn English?
No matter your linguistic or cultural background, you can learn to speak English at HopeWorks. We help students from countries around the world with so many native languages learn how to speak, read and write in English.
Do you want to feel more confident about living in Memphis?
Even if you know how to read, write and speak English, you may not feel comfortable with some of the unspoken elements of American culture. HopeWorks English language education courses can help you feel more confident when you go to the doctor, go to a restaurant with friends, need to get a driver’s license and so much more.
Becoming a stronger English speaker can help you:
- Access jobs that pay more money and provide a better life for your family.
- Earn your citizenship or navigate other government processes.
- Feel confident in cultural settings.
- Learn about American digital or online culture.
- We can help you find a pathway to your desired career.
Here’s what you should know about learning English at HopeWorks:
- Hopeworks Adult English as a Second Language, or AESL, classes are designed to help students build their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills so that they can use English to advance their careers, pass citizenship tests and participate in life activities like going to the doctor or attending their child’s parent/teacher conference.
- Through AESL, students build computer skills and strengthen their English proficiency at the same time using several online programs. These programs can be accessed at home as well as at school – which means you can continue learning at home when you aren’t in class.
- Students who progress through our language courses can take advantage of Career Connections – a class that helps our students with jobs or seeking jobs to succeed. We discuss resume building, cover letter writing, professionalism and responsibility in the American workplace, networking, interviewing, time management, effective speaking and more! Students will be able to build upon their current knowledge base while learning new skills to make them desirable candidates for hire.
- A lot of people ask who we serve, and the answer is really broad. Whether you have a master’s degree in your native country and already speak fluently, or cannot write your name using the English (Roman) alphabet, we have classes for you. We serve students from all over the world and all education levels. AESL isn’t limited to spelling, vocabulary and grammar – we build confidence in American cultural interactions.
How do I get started?
We have several class locations and schedule options to meet your unique needs. To learn more about upcoming classes and how to get started, call HopeWorks at 901-272-3700.
Why did HopeWorks invest in AESL programming?
HopeWorks believes that it is our Biblical mission to support, love and protect our brothers and sisters who are immigrants or refugees. In Memphis, one of the best ways to support non-native English speaking populations is through English education courses. We provide hope and jobs to Memphians, and this is one way to extend that offering to our newest neighbors.
MEET OUR SPONSORS
Without community investors and sponsors, HopeWorks AESL program would not be possible. Thanks to their generous support, Memphians can learn English in locations across the Mid-South. Please support businesses that support non-native English speakers and their communities in Memphis.